I am so excited I can hardly type this email. The Boston Police Department has just made their newest tool called Crime Reports available to us. This tool lets us see what's crime is being reported on our streets. Combine this with our neighborhood zone groups and we've got a great way to find out what's happening and what we can do about it.
Here is what I request you do:
1) Go to http://jamaicaplain.neighborsforneighbors.org
2) Navigate the map on the front page to your Neighborhood Zone Group
3) Join it if you have not already
4) Check out the Crime Report widget and use discussions to communicate
5) Invite everyone you know in JP to join the network. The more people using it the more we can accomplish.
Please keep in mind:
- Only crime that has been reported shows up.
- Please call 911 to report a crime AND when you see suspicious behavior.
- Call 911 to report ANY crime. Lot's of people tell me they don't think it matters. IT DOES. Call 911.
- Car: remove all your valuables every time including chargers, GPS units/mounts/squiggles left behind.
- Home: Lock your doors and windows (especially first floor units). Secure Air Conditioners. Turn your outside light on ALL night - it deters crime. When your not home pull your shades down.
- Self: Always be aware of your surroundings. Walk in/near groups. Say hello to people and look them in the eye. Make sure you can see and hear (limit volume in headphones).
- All - Call 911 to report suspicious behavior - have that feeling in your stomach - call 911 - they Police are happy to check it out.
- Become a mentor and support youth programing and local non-profits like Spontaneous, Hyde Sqaure Task Force, 826 Boston, and Teen Empowerment.