Neighbors for Neighbors

Do stuff with and for your neighbors

Hi All - I'm new to the neighborhood, and about a week after I moved in read a note posted on my 48 Boylston front door alerting me to a recent break-in. My fellow 1st floor neighbors let us know that their apartment had been broken in to, in the middle of the day. The burglar came in through the front window off the porch (which, since it was not borken, I'm assuming they left open).

This happened last Monday (8/24) in the afternoon. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. I don't think the break in was reported - all that was taken was a laptop and charger.

Thanks!

Views: 53

Replies to This Discussion

Neighbors,

I also had a daytime break in in the beginning of August. I live on Pershing Rd. I reported the break-in, but unfortunately have had no luck getting any of the stolen goods back. As word of advice, RECORD ALL YOUR SERIAL NUMBERS on expensive stuff (ie: TV's, laptops, digi cams, etc.) I learned this the hard way, as I didn't have any of the serial numbers of my stuff recorded. The Boston Police have a trace program through their website. If your stuff is stolen you can register the serial numbers on the site, if the burglars try to resell anything at pawn shops, etc. the serial numbers are ran through the system and will come up as stolen. The shop owners will report this and hopefully the people will be caught and you will get your stuff back. Also, if there are any arrest and goods found in their possession the serial numbers will be checked against those in the data base. I have had friends that have had a great success in retrieving their stuff this way.

As a side-note, it is also good to use the trace program if you are buying goods off of craigslist etc, that way you can identify if you are buying stolen goods are not.

The police also told me to check on craigslist the following days after my break in since people will sell stolen goods through the site to avoid getting caught through the trace program at pawn shops, etc.

I had a flat screen HDTV, a 35mm SLR and all the lens, laptop, and blackberry all taken within 20-30 mins! It was definitely a "grab and go". The worst part is, they ran off leaving my apartment doors wide open all day, until I came home from work at around 9pm that evening, luckily no one else rummaged through my apartment!

We were able to identify that the break in happen between 7am and 7:30 am. My upstairs neighbor said someone came ringing the doorbell to each apartment. My neighbor answered his door and the person asked if "so and so" lived there, my neighbor thought nothing of it, other then someone who was at the wrong address. When my neighbor left for work, about a half hour later, he noticed my doors were open and my cat was out, however this isn't that odd since I do this when I am home, he thought I was just working from home that day and he went on his way. But since I wasn't there and didn't answer, I assume that is why they chose my apartment.

So be on the look out for this suspicious behavior.

I hope this helps!
Thanks for sharing this Simone!

Very helpful!
Great advice. Writing down serial numbers as we speak. Also, I posted Sgt Krause's recent blog post on our front door - just so everyone is aware of what's going on.

thanks for sharing!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Joseph Porcelli (Chief Neighbor).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service