The following is message from the Boston Police Department to All Residents of E-13 Jamaica Plain, MA, 02130.
TO ALL RESIDENTS IN DISTRICT E-13
District E-13 has seen an increase of breaking and entering incidents since the beginning of the year. Arrests have been made in some incidents, while many are still under investigation. We are asking you to help us prevent further victimization by observing our “Protect Your Home Tips” outlined below. Also you may add and distribute along any other tips that you may think of.
Protect your home
- Always close and lock your doors when you are out.
- Secure glass sliding doors with either commercially available locks or wooden dowel or broomstick in the track to jam it.
- Always close and lock your windows when you are out. Windows Screens can easily be out or removed so do not rely on them for security when you are out or at night.
- Keep all items of value away from window view.
- Air conditioners in windows are easily pushed in by criminals to gain access into homes. Make sure you air conditioners are secured and locked into place.
- Do not leave stackable items such as crates ladders, lawn chairs or tables, etc., outside and near your house. Criminals can use them to gain access to your home.
- Do not hide keys in mailboxes, planters, or under doormats. Give an extra key to a trusted neighbor instead.
- Trim your shrubbery that hides doors or windows. Cut tree limbs that might assist a thief to climb into a window.
- Turn on outside lights after dark to illuminate porches, entrances and yards, front and back. Lights on timers or motion detectors deter thieves and other criminals.
- Keep your yard well maintained. Store ladders and tools inside your LOCKED garage, basement or storage shed when you’re not using them.
- Keep a complete up to date inventory of your personal property (photo or videotape) including serial or owner applied numbers.
- Put lights and a radio on timers to create the illusion that someone is home when you are away. Leave shades in normal positions. Stop mail delivery or ask a neighbor to take them in.
Please report any and all suspicious activity to the police. Call 911 for crime in progress or any emergency. PLEASE CALL! CALL! CALL, CALL!
Keep up the appearance of your neighborhood. Broken street-lights, abandoned cars, vacant buildings, graffiti, litter and run down areas attract crime.